As we all have sweet teeth and all of us crave the yummiest dessert very frequently. This craving for dessert only gets satisfied when we enjoy eating wholeheartedly. Dessert tends to lift up your mood and makes you happy, cheerful and calm by releasing magical hormones. In this article, we have mentioned everything you should know about Shisqueique to satisfy your craving.
What is Shisqueique Dessert?
Shisqueique Dessert, also known as “xixos de Santa Catarina” is a traditional Portuguese dessert that has its origin in the region of Santa Catarina in Brazil. It is a type of fried pastry filled with sweetened condensed milk and dusted with cinnamon sugar.
Origination of Shisqueique Dessert
From the state of Santa Catarina in southern Brazil, shisqueique i.e., traditional Portuguese dessert originated. Firstly, it is supposed to have been created by Portuguese immigrants who landed in this region around the early 20th century.
Shisqueique is a renowned dessert in the region of Santa Catarina and has since spread throughout Brazil. It has not only gained acceptance but also gained popularity in different nations with strong Portuguese influence, such as Angola and Mozambique. It is typically offered at festivals and events, particularly at the popular Oktoberfest in Blumenau, a city situated in Santa Catarina.
Shisqueique has become a significant part of the culinary heritage of Brazil, despite its humble origin, and also a representation of the cultural exchange between Brazil and Portugal.
Recipe of Shisqueique Dessert
Here’s a recipe for delicious shisqueique that you should try.
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cinnamon sugar (1/2 cup sugar + 1 tsp ground cinnamon)
- Combine the sweetened condensed milk, water, and butter in a medium saucepan.
- Stir constantly while cooking over medium heat, until the butter is melted and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the flour and salt all at once.
- Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a smooth ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and beat well after each addition until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil in a deep pot or fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, drop the batter into the hot oil in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pot.
- Fry until golden brown on all sides, turn occasionally with a slotted spoon, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the fried pastries from the oil and drain them on paper towels.
- Roll the pastries in the cinnamon sugar mixture until coated on all sides.
- Serve warm and enjoy your delicious Shisqueique.
The Final Thought
If you are searching for some delicious dessert and you want to satisfy your sweet tooth then try out the recipe mentioned above of Shisqueique. This traditional Portuguese dessert is spreading worldwide due to its different yet delicious taste which is enjoyed by everyone. Now make this dessert and enjoy!